Saturday, August 19, 2006

Hello friends, Jim Brighters here...Imagine me doing my Jim Nantz impersonation there.

If you ain't making birdies, you ain't gonna contend. That would be the theme of Saturday morning as birdies are racing into the cup at breakneck speed. There are close to 30 players within three of the lead, which is great if you're at home watching, but is hellacious if you are a golf writer. Keep me in your thoughts today.

When handicapping those near the lead, here are the four you will hear from in round three.

1.) Phil Mickelson - the defending champion will not have Tiger draped around his neck in the third round so I look for something in the 66-68 range for Phil. That may not sniff the top of the leaderboard by the time this birdie fest gets done, but Lefty will be in the mix.

2.) David Toms - can't say enough about him when healthy. Awesome ball striker who is a former champion. Plus he has the added bonus of being my pick in a bar pool, so if he makes it happen, we'll discuss compensation. Just kidding I.R.S.

3.) Tim Herron - played the best of the leaders on Friday as his irons were like darts. I don't know if he can pull this thing off, but I do know that I am warming up to the notion that he will be on the Ryder Cup team.

4.) Tiger Woods - if you don't know why he's on this list, check yourself into a hospital.

Big free falls on Saturday - Chris Riley (no matter what anyone tells me, he was a girly bum for not playing Saturday afternoon at the 2004 Ryder Cup.), Shaun Micheel, Billy Mayfair and Davis Love III (don't worry - he's done enough to get on the Ryder Cup team.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home