Sunday, April 06, 2008

Wow, this is awful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/golf.html?in_article_id=557468&in_page_id=1955

This is so far over the line by Azinger, it's almost surreal. Let's look at some of the finer quotes.

"Nick Faldo has tried to redefine himself," says Azinger. "I'd say he is both who he is and who he was. Some people have bought it. Some have not. But if you're going to be a p***k and everyone hates you, why do you think that just because you're trying to be cute and funny on air now that the same people are all going to start to like you?"

Calling the man a p***k is so far past the boundaries of etiquette. If I were Faldo, I'd gently ask Azinger to speak next time I saw him, then drop him flat on his ass. Azinger's sentiment is a common one, but can't we deal without the p***k line? Isn't this still a golf competition?

Maybe not.

"The Ryder Cup means everything. It's consuming my life. Being captain is the ultimate honour."

Fine, I appreciate dedication, but I wonder how your wife and family feel about this line. It's not everything. It's supposed to be a friendly golf competition between two great teams. Work hard at it, yes, but don't let it consume your life.

Here's this gem about Montgomerie.

"He and Faldo don't seem to get along and there's no way Faldo will award him one of his two wildcards."

Really? In addition to being the American Ryder Cup captain, you can see the future. There's a quote earlier about Azinger being offended that Faldo joked about helping Azinger's partner Chip Beck with a putt. "I said: 'I'll help my partner, not you'." I think Faldo will captain his team, not you.

I don't want to hear Azinger come out and say that he was misquoted. Be a man and stand up. Azinger has already tainted this Ryder Cup with personal attacks. This thing won't have enough spice in it that we have to resort to calling the other captain a p***k?

I'm just so disgusted by Azinger, I may pull for the Europeans.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home