Monday, August 21, 2006

Well, I was half right about Tom Lehman's Ryder Cup picks. Cink was a virtual lock, but I was a little taken back by Scott Verplank and here's why:

1.) He was 20th on the points list and Lehman kept stressing how unimportant experience was. If that was the case, why go all the way down to 20th? I think experience was a bigger factor than Lehman wanted to let on, but that makes it obvious that he would have selected Courtney Love before Davis Love.

2.) Verplank missed the cut by miles at the PGA Championship. If you believe Love lost his spot based on a 73-76 weekend, how exactly does a guy watching Saturday morning cartoons from home warrant a spot?

(I'm not clamoring for a Davis Love III spot. I'm really not, because the U.S. has won twice with him in there in six tries. This Verplank pick Ver-plexes me, that's all.)

3.) Verplank hasn't won in five years. Lehman said how important winning was, then tabbed two guys who haven't won in five years and two years for Cink. Verplank has one top 10 since Bay Hill in March. Sadly, that's one more than Davis Love III, who I think will be captain for the U.S. in 2010 after Paul Azinger next time.

Some other Ryder Cup observations:

1.) I love the idea of going to The K Club next week as a team. I love it even more when Lehman said players and caddies only. This will give them time to play the course, but also be around each other. Lehman said on Monday that the squad would play golf (and compete in practice rounds), fish and drink Guinness. My question is, do they need anyone else to go?

2.) I also like that this is for players and caddies. There is plenty for the ladies to do once the event starts with the gala dinner, opening ceremonies and other things. That's not sexist so all of you Gloria Steinem wannabes, take a breath.

3.) Here's what I don't like. Two guys probably aren't going. Any guesses? Of course it's Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, the two guys who could use a bonding session more than anyone. Woods is actually going to try and make it for the day (he's going to Ireland for the day. I'm going to the supermarket after I write this.), but both have corporate responsibilities. These are the two studs of this team and with four unheralded rookies, they need to show leadership. Bad start.

4.) Monday afternoon truly made me realize the lack of depth in American golf. I'm not in love with the Verplank pick, but where else could Lehman have gone? Lehman said he looked seriously at Love, Lucas Glover, Steve Stricker and Corey Pavin. How weak a crop is that? Is Jackie Burke busy? He may be 80, but why not?

Woods and Furyk will play together. So too will Mickelson and DiMarco. Most think Toms and Campbell will tee it up some together. What does that leave Lehman? One team out of Vaughn Taylor, Zach Johnson, Scott Verplank, Stewart Cink, Brett Wetterich and J.J. Henry. Slim.

5.) I do like one rookie more than the others and that's Wetterich. This dude is a masher who could have a future in pro wrestling if he ever hit hard times on the course. He is fourth in distance and third in birdies. Pair him with someone consistent in fourballs and you have something potentially strong.

No matter what Padraig Harrington says, the Americans are underdogs heading into the Ryder Cup. Maybe not Duke versus UNLV underdogs or David versus Goliath, but definite underdogs.

Quick non-golf thoughts - Watched the William Shatner Roast last night and here's a sentence I never thought I'd write - "Betty White destroyed."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home