Saturday, September 23, 2006

Before any of you American fans start thinking Brookline, let me give you two reasons why it won't happen:
1.) U.S. team is not as deep.
The American team in 1999 had durable veterans like Lehman, Sutton, Leonard, Pate, Duval (close to his prime) and Love picking up points that day. Not Taylor, Wetterich, Henry and Verplank. (I think some of those guys can win, don't get me wrong, just lack a little of the same confidence.)
2.) The European team is 500,000,000 times better.
There aren't three rookies waiting to be slaughtered this time around. Everyone played for Europe. In '99, seven Europeans played in all four team sessions. Three did this time. Their worst guy is probably McGinley and he is a three-time Ryder Cupper.

I think there can be a small comeback because I just don't think Europe has played all that great. Sergio, Casey, Olazabal, Clarke and Westwood have been really strong, but Monty hasn't, Harrington hasn't and either of their rookies could lose tomorrow.

No one has played well for the U.S. Woods and Furyk have two points, Johnson and Cink have 1 1/2. If they play to their ability, and Europe doesn't, it could happen.

I just don't think it will. I know it won't, but one can dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home